MTL provides a number of printers for the general use of the community, and assists in the setup of networked printers purchased by research or administrative groups.
General Use Printers
MTL owns three printers for use by all MTL users.
A Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4050TN is located in the Xerox copier room on the second floor (39-224). This printer is identified as mtlhp1 on all computers within MTL and is configured as the default printer for MTL.
A Hewlett Packard LaserJet M402DN is located in the 6th floor hallway (39-669). This printer is identified as mtlhp2 on all computers within MTL.
A Hewlett Packard Color LaserJet M553 is also located in the Xerox copier room (39-224). This printer is identified as mtlcolor on all computers within MTL.
If you are in need of paper or toner, you can find printer supplies in 39-221. If you need assistance due to the printer being out of paper or toner then please send a message to problems [at] mtl.mit.edu.
Private Research Group Printers
MTL supports research group owned printers as long as they are networked (i.e. they have a fixed IP address). If you need help or suggestions on what to order, please email problems [at] mtl.mit.edu and someone will get back to you.
Please request a hostname/IP before you order your printer. Having an available IP address before the printer arrives makes set up goes faster. Please do not setup or attempt to setup a network printer without contacting problems [at] mtl.mit.edu. MTL will setup and configure your printer and assist you with any maintenance and repairs but an outside vendor contracted through MIT typically must handle any serious repair. Note that MTL does not pay for any supplies or hardware repairs for research group owned printers.
Adding Printers to Computers
Typically MTL Linux users should have access to all MTL managed networked printers. Windows and Mac users can use the following guidelines to add printers.
- First, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features
- Then click on Turn Windows features on or off
- Expand the box next to Print and Document Services and put a check in the check box next to LPR Port Monitoring. On some versions of Windows it will be labeled Print Services for Unix
- Click Next to install the software. The software that is needed may already be included on your computer. Otherwise, you may require the Windows install media. If so, let us know and we will come over with the necessary software.
- Next, add the printer by going to Start -> Devices and Printers -> Add a printer
- Although it is a network printer, choose 'Add a Local Printer' -> Create a new port -> LPR Port
Note: If you do not see LPR Port listed as an option, you need to go back to the steps above and make sure that LPR Port Monitoring is enabled.
- Server: mtl-print.mit.edu
- Queue: <printer-name> (without the <> characters)
- Choose the printer's manufacturer and model from the list of printers.
The procedure for adding a printer to a Mac is similar:
- Apple->System Preferences->Print and Scan
- Click on the plus sign (+) to add a printer
- Click on IP
- Protocol: Line Printer Daemon - LPD
- Address: mtl-print.mit.edu
- Queue: printers/<printer-name> (without the <> characters)
- Name: <printer-name> (without the <> characters)
- Location: does not matter
- Print Using: Generic PostScript Printer (or specific printer drivers if listed)
Canceling Print Jobs
To cancel your print job on an MTL managed printer, you can go to the main MTL printers page. Click on the name of your printer and then look at the list of active jobs. From here, you can cancel any jobs that are yours. You will need to login with your MTL UNIX username and password in order to cancel your jobs. You can also go directly to the page for your particular printer by going to the MTL Print Server and clicking on your printer name in the list. Note that this will only work from within the MTL network.
If you have any questions or problems regarding printing, please send them to print-problems [at] mtl.mit.edu.